How do I add invoice numbers to my invoices?
For many teachers invoice numbers add an unnecessary layer of complexity and confusion. For simplicity's sake, My Music Staff has invoice numbers disabled by default. Before you turn this feature on, keep reading to see if you really need invoice numbers in your studio.
Inside My Music Staff, each of your student families automatically have an "account" with you. The family account always shows what the family has paid, and what they owe. When you create invoices, My Music Staff takes the family's current account balance, adds any new invoice items, and then displays the new amount due on the invoice.
This has a few benefits that makes things easier for you to manage:
- You'll never have duplicate invoice numbers
- If a family misses a payment, the balance automatically carries to the next month
- Partial payments and over payments will automatically catch up on the next invoice
- You can never miss sending an invoice; it always shows the total amount you're owed
- You can mix pre-paid, post-paid and cash payments
But if I don't use invoice numbers, how can I refer to individual invoices?
My Music Staff automatically includes the invoice date on each invoice. The invoice date and the family name provide a unique way to reference individual invoices.
I must have invoice numbers, how can I enable them?
- Click "Settings" in the top right-hand corner and select "Studio Settings" from the drop-down menu.
- Select the "Accounts & Invoices" tab.
- Turn on the "Create Invoice Numbers" option; two new
settings will appear:
Next Sequence Number - This is the sequence number that My Music Staff will use on the next invoice number. If you're moving to My Music Staff from another invoicing system and need to set the starting number, assign it here. My Music Staff will automatically increment this number for you.
Number Format - This field allows you to customize the invoice number format used by My Music Staff. By default My Music Staff will use a 2-digit year followed by a 4-digit sequence number. Details on customizing this are available on the Accounts & Invoices tab.
- Click "Save".
Now when you generate invoices, the invoice numbers will be printed at the top of each invoice.
To view the video in fullscreen,